For those wanting a more “Close to Nature” type of bush experience, the Pafuri Walking Trail provides a rustic tented camp type accommodation situated near the banks of the Luvuvhu River on the southern boundary of the Makuleke Concession. This unfenced tented camp will allow you to enjoy a true wilderness experience in the heart of the Makuleke bush 24/7 throughout the duration of your trail where the day’s bush activities literally start as you open the flap of your tent.
- The two trail camps, Pafuri Trails Camp and Hutwini Trails Camp are located within one of most scenic landscape areas of the concession with imposing sandstone ridges and exquisite riverine and Ana Tree forest.
- Both are also situated in the middle of remarkably busy Big 5 routes with the Luvuvhu River being close by.
- The Walking Trails run seasonally from 1 April to 31 October and usually on a 4-day, 3-night stay, with a minimum of two nights. However, extended stays can easily be arranged on request.
- The camps can accommodate a maximum of 8 guests in 4 walk-inn 2-man canvas tents with comfortable matrasses. Each tent has an enclosed en-suite ablution area with full flushing toilet facilities and an attached bucket type hot water shower to wash away the days’ dust.
- All meals are prepared on site in a gas driven kitchen including a hearty “brunch” on return from the morning walk and a sumptuous three course dinner to end the day.
- The Camp Bars are stocked with a selection of basic spirits, local beers, soft drinks and a selection of good red and white wines. Drinks at the camps are included in the tour price. Any drinks not available at the camp may be ordered from the main lodge for the guest’s account.
- Morning walks commence at first light after coffee/tea and a light breakfast. You can either walk from camp or using the vehicle to drive to a drop off point and park, then walk from there and back to the vehicle. Driving back to camp, brunch is served with the option of a shower and some much needed down time before the afternoon walk or drive.
- Returning from the night drive back to camp, showers are again provided after which we meet around the fire with ice cold drinks followed by dinner ending another amazing day in an area that is undoubtedly one of Southern Africa’s best kept secrets.
- Wherever we walk we will have the likelihood of encountering and observing any one of the Big 5 at any time, while plains game and an abundance of resident and migrant birds will constantly be in our company as we traverse this incredibly special Concession.
Join us to experience this largely undiscovered wilderness area where we are privileged to walk amongst the mighty Baobabs and mystical Fever trees with all trails providing the opportunity to see the exquisite diversity of this true African Bushveld.
We look forward to sharing our love and passion for this magnificent area of the Kruger National Park with you and hope you will be able to join us very soon.
On foot in The Makuleke Concession, Northern Kruger National Park, South Africa!